Sunwayman P02A Penlight Review
This is a general EDC flashlight and has the same dimension as your regular ballpoint. Here are the technical specifications:
- Brand: Sunwayman
- Model: P02A (penlight)
- Emitter Type: Cree XQ-E R2
- Total Emitter: 1 x Cree XQ-E R2
- Lumens: 168Lm
- Switch Location: Tail Cap
- Feature: Lanyard, Tail Stand, Tactical Ring, Lightweight, Pocket Clip
- Function: Walking, Night Riding, Hunting, Household Use, Camping, EDC, Hiking
- Battery Type: AAA
- Battery Quantity: 2 x AAA battery (not included)
- Mode: 2 (High > Low)
- Mode Memory: Yes
- Waterproof: IPX-8 Standard Waterproof (Underwater 2m)
- LED Lifespan: 50000 hrs
Lucky for me, I had a plan for family camping so I carried this flashlight to see how it performs on outdoor area. However, please note that this flashlight isn’t designed exclusively for outdoor activity.
This flashlight is made from decent aluminum material and have the same dimension as any regular pen/ballpoint, including a strong clip that will keep this penlight stay in your pocket no matter what’s your activity.
The clip and switch button/cap is made from stainless steel and look sturdy. I think it can be used as kubotan/kubaton for those who expertise in martial art.
Sunwayman P02A is using CREE XQ-E R2 and orange peel reflector, provide a balance of throw and flood beam pattern. There are two available modes, 12 lumens on low and 168 lumens on high. A nice brightness mode spacing.
You may notice that there’s a residue (like a black hair) in the head part but it does not affect the beam performance. But still, Sunwayman need to improve their quality control to ensure this won’t happen again in the future.
I will open the head this weekend and see if I can remove that stuff.
Hand On Experience
The size of this penlight is just perfect, I can put it inside my pocket where I usually keep my pen in it and it stayed there all night and day long.
One thing to notice, the switch might be accidentally pressed and this will dry your batteries out without your concern. But this can be avoided by twisting the head to loosen it a bit as a simple lock out mechanism.
Here you can see the penlight’s size compared to an average asian man like me.
It uses reverse clicky button so you can push the switch to turn the light on high mode and then do a half press to switch to low mode. Somehow I feel that switching mode is a bit tricky at first, just don’t press it too deep.
This penlight was useful for camping light and it gives pretty good runtime. I didn’t have a chance to measure the exact runtime because that was a rainy night and I found some leakage on my tent. So I used my other flashlights along with this penlight (and other efforts) during the night to keep my family dry and safe.
Over all this is a nice flashlight, but I really wish that Sunwayman can do better on quality control. Here my final thoughts on this Sunwayman P02A penlight review.
- Lightweight, easy to carry, concealable.
- Using AAA batteries, available almost everywhere.
- Enough lumens for everyday carry and basic tasks.
- Can be used as kubaton/kubotan, if you’re trained.
- Spec said it has memory, but I don’t think it has memory. Alway turned on high brightness level.
- Accidental activation is very likely, always check or lock it out by loosing the head part.